Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Discretion

In case anyone wondered, I have a lot of opinions. One of those opinions is that too many opinions are shared too freely and too often. Opinions should be shared when they are relevant, necessary, and helpful, and should be shared within a proper setting. Opinions should not be shared when they are freshly formed, backed with angry feelings, generalizing, or uneducated. When willing to share an opinion, a person must always be willing to carefully consider another alternative. Opinions should not be used as a backbone for arguments or as ego gratification.

Opinions are best shared lovingly, carefully, and to a proper audience. If opinions are shared boldly, to a large audience, it should be for the sake of virtue or morality or some other good cause.

When a person shares too many opinions, he loses the very respectability he is trying to gain.

If we were slower to blurt out our own short-lived opinions and were more apt to listen to others', we would probably all be a lot wiser. And that is why I don't share my opinions often - how many people are really willing to listen?

1 comment:

Megan said...

Rachel you are sooo wise. And I think I definitely fall into the trap of speaking way to much and without thinking enough!! I loved your point about losing the very respectability you are trying to gain when you voice your opinion too much- that is so extremely true!